Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Super Ingredient in Action: Sauerkraut


 
Yet another great recipe from Abbey Bell!!! Why buy sauerkraut when you can make it at home?? And much healthier! Click here for the benefits.
 
From Abbey:
 
Lauren and I have been discussing how beneficial fermented foods are for our bellies, so when she asked me if I could come up with some ways to use Sauerkraut other than on hot dogs, I took it one step further and told her I would make the sauerkraut itself.  I researched several sites online for recipes and techniques and learned it’s not difficult to make your own fermented foods. 
 
 
 
Macerate the cabbage in salt, store in a jar at room temperature for a couple of weeks, fully submerged in it’s own liquid, and enjoy. 
 
Here’s what they don’t tell you. Every time you walk into your tiny apartment, you’ll think your dog left you a gift in the other room. You’ll have to warn your dates that that smell isn’t you, it’s the sauerkraut. You’ll panic that the smell is permeating your clothes and following you everywhere.  BUT, in the end, the result is worth it, as you’ll have deliciously tangy, bacteria-full, preservative-free sauerkraut.  I added fennel seeds to my batch, which lended a sweet anise flavor, but you could leave them out if that’s not your favorite flavor, or add some chili flakes to make it spicy. 
 
I’ve taken eating the kraut with my eggs for breakfast, putting some in my quinoa bowls, a la The House in the Hills recommendation, and using it as additional side dish with my dinners.  I love the sharp flavor it adds to my meal and my belly loves the good bacteria. Try it yourself and let us know how it goes!

Click here for the original recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment