Sunday, March 17, 2013

Another Reason to LOVE the Coconut!


Besides it’s yummy taste when eaten raw or as a milk and all the amazing benefits of coconut oil, I recently discovered yet another reason to love the coconut, namely coconut sugar! It is a versatile sugar that can be used as a substitute for sugar in recipes (1:1) and I have even read that people use it as an alternative to brown sugar.

In addition to being a natural sweetener, it is also a low glycemic sugar; therefore I have a read a lot about it being a good choice for diabetes (in moderation of course). However one interesting benefit is that it is high in mineral content; when compared with brown cane sugar it contains 20 times the nitrogen, 26 times the phosphorous, 16 times the potassium, 4 times the amount of magnesium, twice the amount of nitrogen and is also very high in natural B vitamins.1

Lastly, coconut sugar is a sustainable sweetener, in that you can produce 75% more sugar per acre as compared to cane sugar.1 As always, any sugar (even natural ones) should only be eaten in moderation, but I plan to give coconut sugar a try when I make my next batch of my favorite treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment