So as I mentioned in my previous post, one of my goals for this month is to experiment with a new grain. I am a little obsessed with breakfast, which is ironic as for years I never ate breakfast. However after trying every diet under the sun, all extolling the virtues of eating breakfast, I finally gave in a few years ago. What started as me finding the least calorie option available just to make sure I ate something has now a meal I crave and wake up looking forward to! I am constantly searching for fun recipes, but now have discovered that grains serve as a fantastic base for a healthy and hearty breakfast. So with this in mind I explored the options of millet for breakfast.
Check out this recipe for a delicious Millet Breakfast Casserole1Serves 4
- 2 cups cooked millet
- 2 tbsp flax meal plus 6 tbsp hot water
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Beat the flax meal and water together in a large bowl. Let rest for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is roughly equivalent to the consistency of eggs.
3. Mash the bananas into the flax mixture.
4. Stir in the millet and cinnamon; then gently mix in the blueberries.
5. Pour into a greased 8×8 inch casserole dish.
6. Bake for approximately 45 minutes until the edges are browned.
I added in almonds and chia seeds, but you can certainly experiment with different kinds of fruits and nuts. It lasts nicely for several days – just reheat and ENJOY!
Millet is incredibly versatile…I made extra so I could use all week long. I used instead of brown rice in a stir fry and even added it to soups and chili. Delish!