Sunday, January 13, 2013

Oh So YUMMY Millet


So as I mentioned in my previous post, one of my goals for this month is to experiment with a new grain. I am a little obsessed with breakfast, which is ironic as for years I never ate breakfast. However after trying every diet under the sun, all extolling the virtues of eating breakfast, I finally gave in a few years ago. What started as me finding the least calorie option available just to make sure I ate something has now a meal I crave and wake up looking forward to! I am constantly searching for fun recipes, but now have discovered that grains serve as a fantastic base for a healthy and hearty breakfast. So with this in mind I explored the options of millet for breakfast. 
Check out this recipe for a delicious Millet Breakfast Casserole1
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cooked millet
  • 2 tbsp flax meal plus 6 tbsp hot water
  • 2 bananas
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
 

Directions:

1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2.       Beat the flax meal and water together in a large bowl. Let rest for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is roughly equivalent to the consistency of eggs.

3.       Mash the bananas into the flax mixture.

4.       Stir in the millet and cinnamon; then gently mix in the blueberries.

5.       Pour into a greased 8×8 inch casserole dish.

6.       Bake for approximately 45 minutes until the edges are browned.


I added in almonds and chia seeds, but you can certainly experiment with different kinds of fruits and nuts.  It lasts nicely for several days – just reheat and ENJOY! 

Millet is incredibly versatile…I made extra so I could use all week long. I used instead of brown rice in a stir fry and even added it to soups and chili. Delish!

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment